Saturday, May 19, 2012

Lucky Number 4147

Looking over the map and trying to memorize my number, you know... in case someone yells it at me. "Hey 4147, nice sunglasses!" or "Hey 4147, try and run a straight line, ok?!" or the most likely, "Hey! 4147! I need the porta potty too!"




I woke up with the sunrise this morning. It was almost intentional because I told myself, get up early so you can fall asleep tonight before the race. It's not like it matters though, knowing me it will take me hours to fall asleep and I will be running on four hours of sleep. These feelings actually remind me of my first horse show. I was so nervous because the horse I was leasing, Woody, bruised a hoof two days before the show and I ended up riding a different horse. I ended up trapping all of that nervous energy and doing really well considering the circumstances. I'm trying to use that experience as a reference point and also trying to rein in my anxieties.

I picked up my participant packet in Fresno last night at the California Classic Expo. It was surprisingly easy and really quick. When I got to the Expo, the parking lot was PACKED so I expected to be in line for at least a few minutes. But nope, I walked in and walked out. There is a ChronoTrack Timer on the back of my number that I am seriously worried about folding as I am a nervous paper folder. Oh well, we'll see what happens to that. Literally the moment I walked into the house last night proudly waving my number, my husband jumped for an opportunity to lecture me. What it comes down to is that he doesn't think I've trained hard enough or long enough and he's worried about me. But then today when he tells me we are having burgers for dinner and I tell him, I can't eat that tonight. Well, you want to be worried but you want to feed me a fatty burger? That will hurt me more than anything tomorrow. So Potatoes, Zucchini, and Chicken it is!

(Runner's Nutrition - I found this while I was searching for "pre race meals" and "recovery meals". Informative article written by the Terrio Nutritionist, who also happened to put together my meal plans for the challenge I did from January to March.)

I actually started writing this blog post at around 7 this morning but my husband and I have been doing yard work all day. I still have so many things to do before tomorrow and I am actually thinking about hunting down my camelbak to wear during the race tomorrow. It doesn't look like it is going to be too hot in the morning tomorrow but you never know, I might feel the need for water before the first water station. Usually when I wear my camelbak, I mix 50/50 Water and Gatorade. I think it may be wise so I don't overindulge or drink too quickly at the water stations.

Now that I've had a little more time to assess my nervousness, I find that I'm not worried about running. I'm worried about my stomach. I've been having digestive issues pretty consistently over the last couple of weeks. It's nothing serious but I do have a stomach ache right now. I've been tweaking my diet and it seems to have helped. I just worry about having GI issues on the course. But I guess I won't know unless I try...

Recap to come tomorrow! At some point. After I start to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment