Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dirt and Water doesn't just make mud



 I started my garden around the time of my birthday, so right at the beginning of April. I've already enjoyed the fruits of my labor in the form of strawberries, basil, cilantro, and tomatoes but I still have lots of things growing and developing (and in some cases growing and dying). In the garden box above, starting from the plant furthest away, I have watermelon, lemon and regular cucumbers, and crookneck squash. My watermelon plant has taken over and is finally producing watermelons, five to be exact. One of the melons has grown from the size of the tip of my pinky to being larger than my hand in about a week.



My cucumber plants are producing mainly blooms right now but I'm hopeful that they will produce (I have one lemon cucumber that is the size of a ping pong ball). My squash plant has 10+ squashes on it and I am so excited! The leaves are a really dark green and the plant is really healthy. Squash seems to be my strong suit as I had a lot of luck with them last year as well.


In my next garden box, I have all the plants that grow UP, not OUT. The Roma and Cherry Tomatoes are growing like crazy. The Heirloom plant that I have is almost 4' tall and has finally spit out some actual tomatoes. Again, the magic number is 5. My basil and cilantro plants have already flowered (boo!) and my sweet pepper and green bean plants are not doing well. Both are flowering but not going beyond that and producing anything. Most of my corn stalks (the plants on the right hand side and closest to you in the pic below) are now taller than me. They've already produced tassels and one of them has started an ear of corn!



This year I separated my strawberries from the rest of the garden and they are actually doing really well. They aren't big strawberries but they are really, really good. I'm already thinking about what I can plant in the fall and what I want to plant next year. It's so exciting, I can hardly stand it! I really want carrots, garlic, onions, and sweet potatoes.




4 comments:

  1. wow! How cool! I love seeing the "baby" watermelon. Btw, how did you get tyour pictures lines up in a row? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, watermelons are the coolest things to watch grow, mostly because it happens quickly. And for the pictures, I just drag them around the post and get them where I want to go. You usually have to make them small sized in order for it to cooperate but then you can adjust the size if you want. Sometimes it helps to take the first picture in the line and align it to the left, then you can just drag the next picture and drop it in the center.

      Delete
    2. Thank for the info. I try to drag the pics around and they refuse to cooperate!! I can get 2 in a line, but 3 looks totally different in the rough draft. I have to preview it to see if I can get them lined up. Maybe a little more play and I can get it done. ;)

      Delete
    3. Maybe try making the blog part of your page a little bigger? That's what I ended up doing for mine a few weeks ago. It's in the advanced settings on the blog design tool. :)

      Delete