Saturday, August 10, 2013

Here we go again!

 ** disclaimer: I wrote this a few days ago and forgot to press publish **

Alright people! I did it again, I braved a workout studio with my check book and committed to being a sore, cranky mess of a woman.

Last week on Thursday, I went to visit a workout studio that popped up Downtown that I had seen advertised at Starbucks when I was pregnant. If only this place had existed last year when I was getting into shape before! I would have saved a ton of time, money, and my car insurance rates wouldn't have gone up. The owner/trainer and I decided that instead of going the bootcamp route that it would be easier and more beneficial for me to do personal training sessions. It's more money but overall, I agreed. I can't feel a majority of my lower abdomen because I had a C-Section. It's hard to think of ways to exercise when there is no way of knowing if it's helping or hurting. I knew it would be tough for me to get in enough exercise if left to my own devices and now I am financially invested and it forces my husband to have "Daddy Daughter" time. (score 1 for Melanie!)


Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon after a marathon nursing session and hardly any lunch, I headed Downtown for my first session and it was not pretty. I knew it was inevitable that I be measured and weighed but the only thing I could think to say during the process was, "Fuck. Pregnancy truly is the worst invention ever." (cue awkward laugh from the male trainer who really doesn't understand) I mean seriously, can't you go and experience something without measuring your success (or failure)? Can't we cheat a little and do the measuring in a couple of weeks when I'm maybe down a couple of pounds? Pretty please? Can I have a false sense of security here?

I would like to mention that it probably was cheating that I squeezed my boobs into the size medium sports bra before the appointment. That had to have knocked a couple of inches off my chest measurement even if it didn't help the rest of my body!

The workout started with the rowing machine. A pretty cool invention that lulled me into thinking, "Hmmm.. this isn't so bad!" We then did the initial progress check to see where I am right now with pushups, situps, and burpies. I told my trainer, "Write down 1 in the pushup box and let's move on." He refused and made me do the pushups and I beat my goal of 1 by about 18. I didn't go as far down as I should have but that's what happens when you are weaksauce from being pregnant and getting lazy. Overall with the initial evaluation, I am really happy with myself and I'm in a good starting place.

Then I was thrown to the workout wolves and I had to work the battle rope. What is a battle rope you ask? It's a huge freaking rope on the floor that you have to wave around like an idiot while you simultaneously standing in a squatting position. I felt like I was working to become the world's strongest pirate (which would be cool... now that I think about it). Once I was done with that, I did some intervals and core work and ended up back on the rowing machine to end the workout. The reason I referred to the workout as "not so pretty" was because I got sick halfway through my intervals. I need to eat better before I go work my muscles to the max otherwise I will be a victim of poor planning for every single workout. Nursing takes a lot of calories and I kind of learned that the hard way!

Battle Rope Exercise
What the Battle Rope will help me accomplish in the end...




Another reason the workout was not so pretty was because afterwards, I fell on my face going to my car. I lost my balance stepping off the curb, rolled my right ankle, and smashed my left knee into the ground. I'm lucky I didn't break anything. My knee has a 6 inch long, 4 inch wide bruise. Yuck!

So back before Pregnancy when I was doing my original "get into freaking shape" routine, these were my stats:

Remember this from Day 1, Post #1?
Number of Situps in 1 minute: 15
Number of Pushups in 1 minute: 18 (modified, knees on the floor)
Number of "Laps" in the parking lot in 7 minutes: 15
Number of minutes of straight running before I needed to walk: 4 minutes (half of what I do at home with the dog. Hello? Legs and Lungs? What gives?)


Well I have some new numbers for you and these shall be dubbed Workout #30, Week 10, Post #41
Number of Situps in 1 minute: 25
Number of Pushups in 1 minute: 36 (modified, knees on the floor)
Number of "Laps" in the parking lot in 7 minutes: 19
Number of minutes of straight running before I needed to walk: 7 minutes and still ready for more.

Here are my updated numbers:
Number of Situps in 1 minute: 29 (these were modified to shoulder blades off the floor because of my c-section incision and lack of ab muscles. Personal goal is to do 5 regular situps by my next progress check)
Number of Pushups in 1 minute: 19 (modified, knees on the floor)
Number of Burpies in 1 minute: 10

My weight you ask? 1*5. Haha! See what I did there? I censored it for your protection!





2 comments: