Saturday, March 8, 2014

Melanie Reporting: Personal Trainer Food

No, I am not getting a kick back from Personal Trainer Food. Yes, I am looking for a way to spur myself back into blogging. Yes, I am only three full days in and feel like cheating with chocolate. (When I started this, I was three days in. Now I am on my sixth day. Still wanting chocolate and now I'd like a latte too. A venti one.)

Ok! First things first! The selection of food.
The process was easy but I wish you could read reviews on individual foods. You know, in theory a Buffalo Ranch Chicken Stick sounds appealing but is it really? I chose the quick fill in option and tweaked the choices from there. Microwave in a bag sausage? Um, no thanks! And I wish there were more breakfast choices.

It was a Monday when I ordered and the earliest delivery option was the upcoming Thursday. I decided on a Saturday delivery and lo and behold, this huge cooler box arrived as scheduled on Saturday. (shipping is free and Saturday shipments are not an extra cost because it is a standard residential delivery day for FedEx)

I didn't care for the message on the flyer but that isn't a huge concern. This is definitely a diet marketed heavily to women. Most specifically women who are on the cusp of getting married. Been there, done that! The other documents provided are instructions, do's and don'ts, and a message about cheating on your diet. (Boo!) Did you know that one cheat day can set you back 2-4 days? That explains my problems, I guess! I probably have about 21 days left until I'm not set back anymore ;)



I quickly realized that I was unexpectedly limited on freezer space thanks to my husband. I had to make space where I could find it and I actually ended up bringing a week's worth of lunches to work. It's nice because there is nothing to measure or memorize. Hell, I can't even remember two hours ago let alone the heating instructions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Only downsides are: 1) I'm not sure about the dry ice packing method during the hot summer months (if I continue with this plan for that long) and 2) there was no organization in the cooler box - I wish veggies had been with veggies and dinners with dinner, etc.

Pros after 6 days
  • "Frustration Free" packaging. I can easily open the microwaveable bags with one hand. Considering that I open most things while holding a squirmy baby, this is really important.
  • The meat is surprisingly moist and tasty! This makes me rethink my original aversion to the sausage.
  • Meals are ready in less than 3 and a half minutes.
  • The veggies seem really fresh despite the fact that they are frozen.
  • The diet is restrictive but easy to incorporate if you get pulled into a work lunch or celebratory dinner. I've needed to go out to lunch 3 times this week and using the "Do" and "Do Not" list, I felt successful in picking foods. My new friend/a new find near work: tri tip lettuce wrap with ranch dressing, tomatoes, cilantro, green salsa, onions, jicama, and low fat cheese. Yummy!
  • I can drink coffee but I cannot use my non-fat, low calorie liquid creamer. I've decided cinnamon is a good alternative.
  • Unlimited leafy greens
  • Salad Dressing with less than 2g of sugar is allowed
  • Non-starchy Veggies (there's lots more than I knew about it!) are allowed
  • Other snacks that are allowed are: lunch meats, 6 oz of skim cheese, avocado, 3 oz per day of one of these: almonds, pistachios, macadamia, sunflower seeds 
  • My digestive distress as of late has completely disappeared.
  • I've lost 6 pounds!
Cons after 6 days
  • I love fruit! And... no fruits except an apple a day :( I'd dance around on a street corner wearing a sandwich board to have 17 grapes right about now. (remember, way back when when I complained about ONLY being able to eat 17 grapes? yeah, I'd go back to that. :))
  • I love eating eggs but right now, if I see another omelet, I might cry. Too bad eggs are on the menu for breakfast for the next 22 days. The only thing that makes the eggs passable is that they are paired with a sausage patty. If I cook the omelet with the sausage on top, the juices spread over the egg and it tastes so much better. 
  • The veggies are fresh tasting but steamed, soft veggies are going to get old. Give a girl some directions on how to cook these outside of the bag without your icky butter-garlic sauce.
  • No yogurt, sugar, grains, milk, olives, or artichokes (there's more but these are things I like)
  • It's weird because they list carrots as a starchy veggie but it's in the packs of vegetables they provide. I've been chomping down carrots like crazy and I just realized they are on the DO NOT list.
  • I wish the guidelines for snacks were a little bit clearer.
  • I did not feel fueled up enough for my regular workout. I felt like my body was dragging at things that I am used to doing. The 5-30 minute walks recommended by the program were fine though.
  • Commercials on TV and the Radio really suck when you are on a diet. If I have to hear about pizza or cupcakes one more time, I will likely commit a pizza related diet crime at the Mountain Mike's All You Cat Eat Pizza Bar.
  • I'm physically and mentally fatigued though I don't feel like it is all the new diet. I do have an 8 and a half month old, after all. 

Overall, I feel like this week has been successful. I've been a little bit grumpy and restricted but I think of the last time I did a diet overhaul and that had a great outcome. I just have to push forward and stay away from the chocolate chips and reese's peanut cups that my husband brought home last week. Darn him!

And I leave you with this... (and I will)

No comments:

Post a Comment