Sunday, April 8, 2012

A is for Apple!

I decided to try and catch up on an April blogger challenge so here we go! A is for Apple!

Apples have always, always been my favorite fruit. Fuji, Green, and Gala but not Red. Never, ever Red. Reds are too mushy to be taken seriously. Ever since I had braces, I haven't taken a bite out of an apple because I prefer cutting them up and eating them that way. I also like to eat them with the little Laughing Cow cheese wedges. My current favorite is a juicy Gala apple, fresh from the fridge, with a wedge of Queso Fresco & Chipotle. I've also made grilled apples with onions, apple and pretzel stuffed mushrooms, baked salmon over apples, apple cinnamon waffles, and butternut squash and apple soup. All of these things are (A for) amazing! :)

Anywho, I finally joined a gym closer to my house but I've only been there once and all I did was run about 5 miles on the treadmill. I haven't hit my stride yet with the whole waking up early thing and I'm usually exhausted after work. My main problem is that I don't have a plan when I get to the gym. I don't have a trainer to keep me moving or a group of people to workout with. I need to work really hard to stay motivated and this is my first test. 

It was my birthday last week and I turned 26. I said to myself, "SELF! You will eat horribly today and only today. Go all out. You are closer to 30 than 20 and you aren't sad about it. Eat through the sadness anyway!" And you want to know what I did? I hardly ate ANYTHING! My husband and I went to the Pancake restaurant downtown and neither of us ate lunch. Then we weren't really hungry for dinner. Damn you, oatmeal pancakes!

I also started my garden this weekend. I planted (insert a deep breath here) Mr. Stripey Tomato, Roma Tomato, Cherry Tomato, Sweet Basil, Variegated Basil, Cilantro, Sweet Queen Corn, Blue Lake String Beans, Sweet Peppers, Crookneck Squash, Cucumber, Lemon Cucumber, and Jubilee Watermelon. Whew! Quite the list but you know, it's really fun to garden. I didn't plant these from seeds, I bought Bonnie Plants. They come in biodegradable pots to limit your chances of transplant death and I'm NOT a green thumb and I need as much help as I can get. I was really successful last year and I'm hoping to continue the trend this year. My biggest win last year: I grew a 30 pound watermelon!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were into gardening. How cool! Welcome to the blogger challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kill a lot of plants so I'm not sure if I can be classified as a gardener. :) I'm just an expediter wearing gardening gloves.

      Delete